Lighting Control Energy Saving Facts
Did You Know?
- We need energy – and lots of it – to light our homes, schools, offices, hospitals, hotels, and restaurants. Lighting consists of nearly 25% of the United States electricity budget, which is approximately $37 billion annually.
- Lutron estimates that by installing just two dimmers in place of two standard light switches in every home in the US, the potential annual savings could be $1.5 billion in electricity and close to 25 billion pounds of CO2—the equivalent to taking more than 1 million cars off the road.
- Each year, Lutron estimates its dimmers save a total of 9.2 billion kWh. That is the equivalent output of one large coal or nuclear-powered power plant, or about $1 billion in energy costs. “Dimming your lights even 20% saves nearly 20% in energy,” says Dr. Ian Rowbottom, principal application engineer at Lutron. “Dimming them more, saves even more.”
- Radio Powr Savr™ is a battery-powered, ceiling mount sensor that saves energy by dimming or turning off electric lighting when sufficient daylight is available. The sensor detects light in the space and then wirelessly transmits the appropriate commands to the compatible dimming and switching devices via Lutron Clear Connect™ Radio Frequency (RF) technology; those controls then adjust the lights to take advantage of daylight.
- Lutron’s new C•L™ Dimmers for dimmable CFL and LED bulbs have HED™ Technology which allows dimming of CFL and LED bulbs.